As the social media backlash against Jordan Mauger continues to grow, his ex-girlfriend has stepped into the spotlight again to say she is “feeling physically ill” at the treatment Jordan and his family have received.
In an official statement released today, Fleur said Jordan and his family had gotten threats and verbal abuse, and cautioned that the way he had been portrayed wasn’t “completely accurate”.
“During the weeks after the show both Jordan and I noticed a change between the two of us and although I hoped that this was part of the process and something we could work through, Jordan told me in a very respectful way that he believed it was fair to go our separate ways because I deserved someone who could give himself to me 100%. What went on between the two of us is something only we know,” she said.
“New Zealand wasn’t in the room when I hugged him and thanked him for being honest and respectful. No one would know we are still in contact and supporting each other – as friends – through this.
“To conclude this statement I want to say that I do not have any ill feelings towards Jordan and the last thing I want is for him and his family to be treated the way they are. Because as someone who knows him on a personal level, I know that he does not deserve this and the way he has is being portrayed is not the guy I developed feelings for.
“I don’t want to discredit any of the support I have been receiving, because it has meant the world to me, but I ask you to please step back and to focus on what is real and important in our world,” she continued.
“Of course I would have loved for the outcome to be different and to have explored a possible relationship with Jordan, but I am also very grateful for his honesty and integrity and feel we both deserve your support.”
The blonde beauty isn’t the only one stepping up to defend the beleaguered Bachelor star. Close pal and fellow actor Will Hall told the Herald that he was surprised at the social media reaction.
Watch: Fleur reveals how Jordan broke up with her - story continues below
“My interpretation is that now the fairytale show is over, the soundtrack has stopped and the fancy dates and exotic locations have finished, Jordan genuinely didn’t see a future with Fleur. Surely we all agree you can’t force love?”
In his own statement about the breakup, Jordan said he had difficulty translating his feelings from the show into real life and pointed to the distance, media intrusion and secrecy as factors behind the split.
“I know Fleur will go on to do great things. Her talents and caring nature will put her in a great position for anything she decides to do. She will always have my full support and I care for her greatly," he said.
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveToday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveToday 11:31am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsDoting dad Ronan Keating enjoys a family day out at Auckland's waterfront
Woman's DayApr 21, 2019
- BodyMatilda Green talks motherhood, mental wellbeing and her plans for the future
Good Health ChoicesApr 21, 2019
- FitnessThese dance workouts will be so fun that you won't even feel like you're exercising
Good Health ChoicesApr 20, 2019
- RoyalsHappy birthday Her Majesty! Celebrating 93 years with Queen Elizabeth II
Now To LoveApr 20, 2019