Double Olympic champion and beloved Kiwi athlete Eric Murray has revealed to Woman’s Day magazine that he is retiring from rowing.
Eric - who along with partner Hamish Bond formed New Zealand’s most successful rowing team ‘The Kiwi Pair’ - has decided to call it quits after an incredible 69 unbeaten races, telling Woman’s Day exclusively that he’s now focussing on his family- wife Jackie and five-year-old son Zac.
Explains Eric, “I always said as long as my mind, my body and my heart were in it, then I could do this for as long as I like. My mind’s been pretty good, my body’s been pretty good, but it was my heart that was on the fence. So, it’s time to go.”
The fact that he’d also lost “the buzz” from winning also contributed to the decision, which he and Jackie agonised over for seven months.
“The last few years have been difficult,” he tells.
“[Hamish and I] made a legacy in the sport and we got to the point where we were always winning, but it was playing on our minds and wearing us down. When we won a race, it was like, job done. We didn’t get that elation anymore. Everyone expected us to win, so when we won, we just met the expectation.”
For more on Eric’s tough choice to retire, including his plans for the future and how Jackie has helped him through his darkest days, see this week’s issue of Woman’s Day, out now.
- SkincareAll you need to know about retinol and anti-ageing ingredients
Now To LoveMay 06, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Patrick and Belinda: 'Pat will make a great Dad!'
Woman's DayMay 05, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Bryce & Melissa: 'We're getting our own show!'
Woman's DayMay 04, 2021
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021