Talk show star Ellen DeGeneres has spoken out about the controversial anti-gay statements made by gospel singer Kim Burrell.
The singer was due to perform on the The Ellen DeGeneres Show alongside Pharrell Williams, but her appearance was cancelled after she she suggested during a recent sermon that gay people will die for their "sins" in 2017.
Scroll down for video
DeGeneres discussed the reasons for axing Burrell with Williams, when he sat down with the talk show host, who is one of showbiz's most prominent LGBT+ personalities.
"We have to talk about this before we go," she said.
"[Burrell] made a statement, she was doing a Facebook Live, and she said some very not nice things about homosexuals, so I didn't feel that was good of me to have her on the show to give her a platform after she was saying things about me," DeGeneres explained.
"There's no space, there's no room for any kind of prejudice in 2017 and moving on. There's no room," Williams replied. "We all have to get used to everyone's differences and understand that this is a big, gigantic, beautiful, colorful world and it only works with inclusion and empathy."
DeGeneres said as someone who "received a lot of hate and prejudice and discrimination because of who I choose to love" she couldn't understand how Burrell, as an African-American woman, could indulge such prejudice.
"I don't ever want anyone to feel hurt because they are different."
WATCH: Ellen and Pharrell discuss the controversy below
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveToday 2:28pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 1:00pm
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 11:00am
- WeddingsArt Green and Matilda Rice marry in a stunning Waiheke wedding - and announce they're expecting a baby!
Now To LoveYesterday 10:10am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019