She shocked fans with the announcement of her split from art dealer hubby Will Kopelman over the weekend, and now Drew Barrymore is speaking openly about the “new direction” her life has taken.
Speaking to PopSugar at an event for her Barrymore Wines range just hours after the split was confirmed, Drew reflected on the ups and downs of her life over the past few months.
“I had a really hard time a couple of months ago and kind of knew life was heading in a new direction,” she told PopSugar.
“I called someone that I really trust, respect, and believe in, because he has always been the conductor of grace. I said, ‘What’s your advice?’ And he said, ‘You put one foot in front of the other.’
“It’s just great advice,” Drew continued. “It’s a kind of way in which to live, and I want to be like him. I want to be like that. I want to put one foot in front of the other.”
This is the first interview Drew has given since confirming the sad news of her separation from Will over the weekend. The couple, who have two children together, had been married for almost four years.
However, it’s clear that Drew and Will are putting their daughters Olive and Frankie first and foremost as they go forward with their divorce.
“Sadly our family is separating legally, although we do not feel this takes away from us being a family,” they said via a statement released to People.
“Divorce might make one feel like a failure, but eventually you start to find grace in the idea that life goes on. Our children are our universe, and we look forward to living the rest of our lives with them as the first priority.”
The former couple first began dating in 2011, eventually tying the knot in a fairytale ceremony back in 2012. While the couple seemed to be rock steady during their relationship, Drew has previously confessed that there was no “love at first sight” for her and Will.
The Charlie’s Angels star, who had a tumultuous childhood and relationship with her own mother Jaid, said she was attracted to Will’s kindness, dependability and close-knit family.
“Will struck a lot of my pragmatic sides. He was someone who was always reachable on the phone, someone who was a classy human being. Someone who has this incredible blueprint of a family that I don’t have,” she dished about her then-husband in an interview with InStyle.
While the former couple have put on a united front in the public eye, inside sources say Will was “devastated” by their breakup. People reports the pair had been having arguments over where to settle down as a family, with Drew looking to live in Los Angeles and Will wanting to raise their daughters in New York.
This was the third marriage for Drew, who was previously married to bartender Jeremy Thomas at age 19 and then comedian Tom Green in 2001.
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020