Pop star Demi Lovato has broken her silence following a terrifying drug overdose that nearly cost the 25-year-old her life. The singer took to Instagram to reassure her fans.
"I have always been transparent about my journey with addiction," Demi wrote. "What I've learned is that this illness is not something that disappears or fades with time. It is something I must continue to overcome and have not done yet."
"I want to thank God for keeping me alive and well. To my fans, I am forever grateful for all of your love and support throughout this past week and beyond. Your positive thoughts and prayers have helped me navigate through this difficult time."
And lastly, "I want to thank my family, my team, and the staff at Cedars-Sinai who have been by my side this entire time. Without them, I wouldn't be here writing this letter to all of you. I now need time to heal and focus on my sobriety and road to recovery. The love you have all shown me will never be forgotten and I look forward to the day where I can say I came out on the other side. I will keep fighting."
Fans have been worried about Demi ever since news of her hospitalisation broke on July 25. LAPD Officer Ray Brown told Life & Style magazine that police received a call at 11:37 a.m. of a possible overdose of a 25-year-old female at Demi's home.
TMZ reported that Demi was unconscious when authorities arrived after receiving the call, and sources told us that she was given a dose of Narcan while in her home. Originally it was reported that the overdose was caused by heroin, but other sources have said that's not the case.
Since then, fans and fellow celebrities have shown their support for the star by posting on social media. Demi's ex-boyfriend Joe Jonas took to Twitter to share his love for Demi. "Like all of you I am thinking of @DDLovato right now," he wrote on the day the news broke. "She needs our prayers and support. We all know how strong you are Demi. #prayfordemi."
Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres also tweeted her support. "I love @DDLovato so much. It breaks my heart that she is going through this. She is a light in this world, and I am sending my love to her and her family." Stay strong, Demi.
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveToday 10:25am
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:22am
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- Diet & NutritionLow calorie and dairy-free ice creams that'll satisfy all your frozen dessert cravings
Now To LoveYesterday 2:30pm
- RoyalsRoyal wedding 2019: The official photos from Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding have just been released
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- BodyFrom losing 100kg to gaining a wife: Auckland man Brad Wheeler's incredible weight-loss journey
Woman's DayYesterday 11:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVOur top three moments from Dancing With The Stars, week six
Now To LoveMay 21, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw on navigating the first few months of motherhood
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019
- BodyMeet the inspiring Kiwi mum who battled bowel cancer while pregnant
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019