Former Coro Street star Tracy Brabin is considering standing for the seat held by British MP Jo Cox. Mrs Cox, the Labour Member of Parliament for the seat of Batley and Spen, was killed earlier this year.
The actress, best known for playing Tricia Armstrong in the long-running soap, confirmed to the BBC on Twitter she was “thinking about” putting her name forward to become the Labour candidate in the by-election.
Tracey, 55, is also known for roles in other well-known British soaps including EastEnders and Emmerdale.
Jo Cox, who held the seat for Batley and Spen, died tragically after she was shot and stabbed in Birstall, West Yorkshire on 16 June.
The MP had only been elected to Parliament last year.
Speaking at the Mrs Cox’s funeral, the star said the people of Batley and Spen had been “extraordinarily lucky to have her as their MP”.
“She was an extraordinary woman. Super bright, an extraordinary humanitarian.
“She was hilariously funny to be around, massively energetic.”
At this stage, the Labour party hasn’t set a date for the by-election.
Thomas Mair, 52, has been charged with Mrs Cox’s murder. He is due to go on trial in November.
He has also been charged with grievous bodily harm, possession of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence and possession on an offensive weapon.
- Body4 reasons why a visit to this hidden oasis will have you feeling summer-ready
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson zooms around an airport on a motorised suitcase in a hilarious new video
Now To LoveToday 12:15pm
- RoyalsIs Duchess Catherine getting her own television show?
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- CareerKeeping Up With The Kaimanawas horse whisperer Kelly Wilson on the stallion that changed her life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:36am
- Career'You just have to be yourself': Ingrid Hipkiss on taking over from Samantha Hayes on the 6pm news
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:25am
- WeddingsZac Franich and Erin Simpson's magical wedding day
Woman's DayToday 9:15am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan steps out in $50,000 ruby earrings by Kiwi designer Jessica McCormack
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilyAt home with Matilda and Art Green: 'Baby Milo is our dream come true'
Woman's DayYesterday 10:55am
- RoyalsPlastic surgery clinic slammed for misusing Kate Middleton's face to promote face lift
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine wore this special brooch on Remembrance Sunday for a very touching reason
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a set of pearls thanks to Michael Hill Jewellers
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- RelationshipsWestside actress Jessica Grace Smith's romantic beachside proposal
Woman's DayNov 10, 2019
- MindWhy saying 'yes' to stress can actually benefit us
Good Health ChoicesNov 09, 2019
- BodyRenee Wright: Why I'm prioritising my health this summer
NEXTNov 09, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Charles shakes hands with trees after he plants them to 'wish them well'
Now To LoveNov 08, 2019