Celine Dion knows firsthand how explaining death to children can be tricky.
The singer’s husband, René Angélil died in January, aged 73, after a long battle with throat cancer, leaving her behind Dion with their three kids together; René-Charles, 15, and twins Eddy and Nelson, 5.
Scroll down for video
Faced with the heartbreaking task of getting her young children to understand what had happened, the music legend said she turned to Disney movies.
"I asked for some books for children to help me to how to guide them through this. Especially the twins, of course," the 48-year-old singer told Katie Couric in a sit down with Yahoo News. "And it kind of, like, shook me up so much. It was not my way of wanting to talk to my children."
So Dion said she closed the books and turned to the animated movie, UP.
"Up saved my life," Dion reveals. "I said, 'What is the movie that Ellie died in?' And they said, 'Ellie died in the movie Up, Mum.' I said, 'That's it. Ellie,' I said. 'Well, I want you to listen to me.' I said, 'Papa is now with Ellie.'"
Before her husband passed away Celine had opened up to USA Today about how her husband’s illness had left him unable to talk or swallow and he had to be fed via a tube. She said they had time to discuss his plans for his death.
"I'll say, 'You're scared? I understand. Talk to me about it,'" Dion said. "And René says to me, 'I want to die in your arms.' OK, fine, I’ll be there, you’ll die in my arms."
While she and her family are still very much in the mourning process, Dion took to the stage in August to remember her husband with a touching performance of "My Heart Will Go On."
Watch Celine Dion talk about how UP "saved" her
- TVBree Tomasel reveals her heartbreaking medical condition
Woman's DayYesterday 4:00pm
- RoyalsThe Queen “regretfully” cancels her appearance at UN climate change summit amid mounting fears for her health
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 2:20pm
- RoyalsPrincess Beatrice makes a glamorous appearance after welcoming baby Sienna with husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
The Australian Women's WeeklyOct 26, 2021
- At homeBring some tranquility to your home with these trending paint colours
Now To LoveOct 25, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island's Edna Swart has found the one
Now To LoveOct 23, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi mum's courage: 'My boobs are ticking timebombs!'
Woman's DayOct 21, 2021
- Married at First SightWhich Married At First Sight season 8 couples are still together?
Now To LoveOct 19, 2021