In an emotional interview with ABC’s Good Morning America, the Canadian songstress, 48, told how she urged music mogul Renee, 73, whom she first met as a budding singer aged just 12, to “go in peace”, saying: “You were worrying for my career. You were worrying for the children. You were worrying for everything. It's enough. Do you trust me? Please do. Trust me.”
Celine said that she had broken news of Renee’s death to the couple’s three children René-Charles,15, and five-year-old twins Eddy and Nelson, and had by comparing it to the movie Up.
“I said, 'do you remember the movie Up?' It's one of our favourites, and they said 'Oh yes, Elie went up with the balloons,' and I said 'well, you know, today Papa went up, because Papa was very sick.’”
“Up is a good thing. Up is uplifting.” she added.
Watch: Celine Dion pays tribute to her late husband - story continues below
'The Power of Love' singer told how she took her boys outside to spread what she called 'pixie dust' and release balloons into the sky.
She recalled telling her sons “We're gonna say, ‘Papa, we love you. Have a good up,’ and we're gonna spread this, and it's gonna go to him.”
Vowing to stay strong for her family, Celine said in a separate interview with People magazine: “I’m 48 years old and I lost the love of my life. I miss him a lot from when he was great but not when he was suffering. I cannot be selfish. You have to let people go. I feel at peace.”
"He left me with all of his strength. Every day we live with him, just not physically. I'm thankful that he does not suffer anymore."
- Body4 reasons why a visit to this hidden oasis will have you feeling summer-ready
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson zooms around an airport on a motorised suitcase in a hilarious new video
Now To LoveToday 12:15pm
- RoyalsIs Duchess Catherine getting her own television show?
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- CareerKeeping Up With The Kaimanawas horse whisperer Kelly Wilson on the stallion that changed her life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:36am
- Career'You just have to be yourself': Ingrid Hipkiss on taking over from Samantha Hayes on the 6pm news
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:25am
- WeddingsZac Franich and Erin Simpson's magical wedding day
Woman's DayToday 9:15am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan steps out in $50,000 ruby earrings by Kiwi designer Jessica McCormack
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilyAt home with Matilda and Art Green: 'Baby Milo is our dream come true'
Woman's DayYesterday 10:55am
- RoyalsPlastic surgery clinic slammed for misusing Kate Middleton's face to promote face lift
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine wore this special brooch on Remembrance Sunday for a very touching reason
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a set of pearls thanks to Michael Hill Jewellers
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- RelationshipsWestside actress Jessica Grace Smith's romantic beachside proposal
Woman's DayNov 10, 2019
- MindWhy saying 'yes' to stress can actually benefit us
Good Health ChoicesNov 09, 2019
- BodyRenee Wright: Why I'm prioritising my health this summer
NEXTNov 09, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Charles shakes hands with trees after he plants them to 'wish them well'
Now To LoveNov 08, 2019