Walking through the enchanted forest to get to our festively decorated grotto, Ngahuia Piripi can't help bursting into a rendition of Here Comes Santa Claus. "Christmas is absolutely my favourite time of year," the Shortland Street actress grins, "and it's the day before my birthday, so I've got an extra reason to love it."
And as she and her co-star Ben Barrington are granted an audience with the man in red himself, Ngahuia can't help but make a few requests for both special days. The 29-year-old tells Santa, "If you can't fit a house in your sack, all I want is a COVID-free year and finger crossed for a bit of international travel – a trip to Rarotonga is definitely on my wish list!"
Ben, 43, on the other hand, can't think of anything he wants besides more quality family time. A father to four-year-old daughter Harley, he says, "This year's lockdowns made me realise how much pressure there is to spend and consume. I've learnt that kids just want our attention – they crave our company! We were so lucky to have those weeks where we just hung out every day, made lunch and went for walks. I want more of the same. I'm thankful we're happy and healthy. I just want the good times to continue!"
Nodding, Ngahuia – a mother to Owairea, 10 – adds, "My daughter often complains I'm so busy with work, so her dreams came true when she got to spend four whole weeks with her mum. We got to learn a bit more about each other, for better and worse, and we tried new things, like gardening, which I've never done in my life!"
Both stars are looking forward to the second series of their comedy series Millennial Jenny being released on Instagram in early 2021, but first, Ben says, "I'm going to stuff myself silly with lamb, chicken and salmon. Basically, if it walks, flies or swims, I'll eat it!"
Meanwhile, his co-star Ngahuia is heading to Christchurch to spend December 25 with her grandparents for the first time in ages. "It's going to be so special. If I'm lucky enough, we'll have a hangi on Christmas Day. I also love a good cheese board – and strawberries and cherries are a must! But as long as we're with family, it'll be amazing."
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020