Angelina Jolie has filed for divorce from husband Brad Pitt after 12 years together, citing irreconcilable differences.
According to a statement from her attorney, “this decision was made for the health of her family.”
“She will not be commenting, and asks that the family be given its privacy at this time,” her attorney Robert Offer said.
“I am very saddened by this, but what matters most now is the wellbeing of our kids,” Brad told CNN in a statement.
TMZ reports that the couple, who have been together since 2005 and tied the knot in 2014, listed their date of separation on the divorce filing as September 15.
Sources told the media outlet that the split was sparked by Angelina’s alleged concerns over Brad’s parenting. According to TMZ, the actress and director became “fed up” with Brad’s alleged issues with weed and possibly alcohol, combined with a rumoured anger management issue.
Angelina is reportedly requesting sole physical custody of their six children and for Brad to have only visitation rights.
She is not asking for spousal support, but according to CNN, is requesting to keep “miscellaneous jewellery and other personal effects” as well as any earnings made after the date of separation.
“Angelina will always do what’s in the best interest of taking care of her family,” the star’s long-time manager Geyser Kosinski told E! Online.
Angelina and Brad have six children together - Maddox, 15, Pax, 12, Zahara, 11, Shiloh, 10, and eight-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne.
The Jolie-Pitt kids were an integral part of the couple's private wedding in France in 2014, serving as ring bearers at the ceremony and even adding their own illustrations to Angelina's wedding dress (created by Atelier Versace tailor Luigi Massi) and full-length veil.
This was Brad's second marriage, having previously been wed to Friends star Jennifer Aniston from 2000-2005. Angelina was previously married to British actor Jonny Lee Miller from 1996-1999 and Billy Bob Thornton from 2000-2003.
The couple had weathered plenty of ups and downs during their time together, including Angelina's health battles. In 2013, Brad supported his wife as she announced she had undergone a double mastectomy as a preventative measure against breast cancer.
Two years later, he was also by her side as she had her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed.
Last year, during promotion of their film By The Sea, in which they starred as a couple facing marriage troubles, Angelina said they had fights and problems like any other couple".
"We have days when we drive each other absolutely mad and want space, but the problems in the movie aren't our specific problems," she said at the time.
- BodyWhy entering middle-age is actually the perfect time to get your health back on track
Good Health ChoicesToday 2:45pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has opened up about the ‘joy’ of adopting rescue animals
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- TVCan Matty McLean surprise us all and last the distance on Celebrity Treasure Island?
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- CareerJennifer Ward Lealand on being honoured for her commitment to her two great loves, theatre and te reo
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:27am
- RoyalsWhen and where will Baby Archie’s christening take place? Here are all the details
Now To LoveYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe moving reason behind Dancing With The Stars winner Manu Vatuvei's vow to keep dancing
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- BodyBiggest Loser's Jillian Michaels’ top 15 health habits are remarkably simple to adopt too
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- TVFormer DWTS dancer Carol-Ann Hanna gives her verdict on the final show and Manu's win
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- TVDWTS' Laura Daniel spills on her relationship with partner Joseph Moore and their plans to adopt
Woman's DayYesterday 9:21am
- RoyalsPrince Harry shares an adorable new photo of Baby Archie in celebration of Father’s Day
Now To LoveYesterday 8:15am
- Diet & NutritionHow this Auckland woman lost 30kg through hypnosis
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- FertilityConsidering freezing your eggs? Here's everything you need to know
Good Health ChoicesJun 16, 2019
- BodyRotorua parents' heartbreak: only a miracle will save their little boy
Woman's DayJun 16, 2019