What was the first thing Angela Bloomfield did, after saying goodbye to Shortland Street's Rachel McKenna? Dye her hair, of course.
After appearing on our TV screens for most of the past 25 years, Angela was itching to do the little things, like lose her character’s trademark hair and finally paint her nails. Freedoms that were never possible when so many aspects of her appearance had to be Rachel’s, not her own.
It was not an easy decision for the actress to finally leave the world of Ferndale behind her.
She’s grown up as part of New Zealand’s longest-running drama and has at last chosen to leave it, taking a big leap into the unknown. And one of the hardest parts, she tells NEXT, was having to keep it a secret.
“It’s been nerve-wracking because I’m not very good at keeping secrets – it’s not in my nature. I’ve literally had to lie every day.”
Story continues after video
Bloomfield was 19 when she started on Shortland Street. In November she turns 44. Although it isn’t easy to give up a regular job, particularly in a profession as precarious as acting, she felt as if there was no other option.
“Can I see myself staying there until I’m grey and old? No. So I needed to leave because grey and old is not that far away. Also, having been there for so long, there was a degree of not being challenged as much as I wanted to be.”
It was far from a snap decision.
“This has been two years in the making,” she confides. “I needed to plan for it because I don’t know where the next job is coming from and that could be a scary thing.”
Find out more about Angela’s bold decision, and what she’s most looking forward to in a post-Ferndale world, in her exclusive NEXT interview in our November cover story. Out on stands October 17.
For the full story, see the November issue of NEXT magazine
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019