Skincare routines don't need to be confusing, sometimes a combination of good products and consistency is all it takes.
Dermalogica's Head of Education and skin therapist for more than 30 years, Caroline Parker, says that your skin health can be a reflection of your overall health, lifestyle (do you eat healthy, nutritious food?) and amount of sleep you get each night. But for clean skin and unblocked pores you should have a basic skincare regimen in place too.
"Focus on having healthy skin that makes you feel confident. Healthy skin is smooth and well hydrated – it feels supple and comfortable," says Parker.
"These things can be achieved with a good basic regimen of cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturising and maybe some help from a serum to hydrate or retinol to boost skin smoothness and firmness."
So we know we should be removing our make-up each night and cleansing and moisturising twice daily, but with the barrage of products available on the market today, how do we know what products are going to be worth the price tag?
First you'll need to know your skin type (oily, combination, dry, normal or sensitive) and cater to your specific skin needs and concerns.
Not all products will work for every skin type as everyone's skin behaves differently and reacts positively/negatively to certain ingredients in products.
The Now To Love team has trialed the below products and found these products worked for them:
Cleanse morning and night.
- Go-To Skincare's Properly Clean ($33)
- Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Micro Cleansing Foam ($30)
- Clinique's Liquid Facial Soap Mild ($39)
- Clarin's White Plus Tri-Intensive Brightening Serum ($126)
- Antipodes' Hosanna H20 Intensive Skin-Plumping Serum ($49.50)
- Dr. LeWinn's Eternal Youth Day & Night Serum ($80)
- Dermalogica's Active Moist ($75)
- Murad's City Skin Overnight Detox Moisturiser ($139)
- Clinique's Moisture Surge Hydrating Supercharged Concentrate (from $90)
MOISTURISERS W/ SPF:
Apply your SPF moisturiser in the morning on top of your serum (at night the SPF will make you look shiny in photos).
- Ultraceuticals' Ultra UV Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF 50+ ($75)
- Murad's City Skin Age Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50 ($105)
- SunSense's Daily Face SPF 50+ (from $18)
Special mention: Dermalogica's Precleanse ($69), Go-To Face Hero ($49)
These are recommendations that the Now To Love team has trialed and liked. If you have specific skin problems or conditions always follow the directions of your doctor or dermatologist.