You can't talk about gut health without mentioning probiotics, and if this latest innovation catches on, these good bacteria could become synonymous with skin health, too.
In the same way that fermented foods are helpful to the natural, good bacteria in your stomach, probiotics can help sort out the bacteria on your skin.
If you are picturing kombucha and yoghurt on your face, stop. Probiotic skincare looks (and smells) just like your regular products - with one big advantage.
According to Sara Quilter, founder of Tailor skincare, probiotics act as the body's peacekeepers, helping to keep things in a delicate balance or symbiosis. She first discovered the benefits of probiotics in skincare after learning how they could unlock minerals in soil and help plants grow.
She's since released Tailor Renew Probiotic Serum, which contains lysate to stimulate the skin's natural renewal process.
"Your skin has its own microbiome [community of microbes] and, much like the gut, it's important to keep this in balance so that pathogenic bacteria don't take over or become imbalanced," she explains.
Using probiotics in skincare dates back to ancient Egypt where Cleopatra is said to have bathed in sour milk – these 21st-century innovations, though, offer a much more pleasant experience and the results don't lie.
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveToday 10:25am
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:22am
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- Diet & NutritionLow calorie and dairy-free ice creams that'll satisfy all your frozen dessert cravings
Now To LoveYesterday 2:30pm
- RoyalsRoyal wedding 2019: The official photos from Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding have just been released
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- BodyFrom losing 100kg to gaining a wife: Auckland man Brad Wheeler's incredible weight-loss journey
Woman's DayYesterday 11:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVOur top three moments from Dancing With The Stars, week six
Now To LoveMay 21, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw on navigating the first few months of motherhood
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019
- BodyMeet the inspiring Kiwi mum who battled bowel cancer while pregnant
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019