The aim is simple. Two small lines that make you look effortlessly 60s and French and perhaps like you just breezed in from the airport. So why does it feel like diffusing a bomb?
Don't let the pressure throw you. It can be easy if you know what to do and you can look like a celeb in less than five minutes if you do it right!
Basically, you taper from thin in the inner corner, to thick in the middle, to thin at the wing again. Do that well and you've nailed a classic cat eye.
Read on for tips on how to apply liquid eyeliner.
Not all liquid eyeliners are created equal – there are pens and wands, thick and thin, waterproof and not so waterproof. Try a few, find your favourite and stock the hell up.
Before you draw either wing, decide how you want them to look and draw that for both eyes – more symmetrical result than just drawing and trying to match whatever happens on the first eye (but also, accept that you can't ever be 100% symmetrical. No one is. Not even Beyoncé.)
Pause your drawing and move the pen or wand away from your eye. Blink till your heart is content and avoid making a mess. And for the love of setting spray, keep your wand away from your face if you feel a sneeze coming on.
Drawing a little bit at a time rather than one long line will help with the shape of your line and make it easier to make both sides even and consistent. Once you have drawn the line, go back and smooth out any rough edges (careful, fill in too much and your line will be waaaay too thick).
Just like with the rest of your makeup. Even the little dots your liner will create if you look up. Easy.
Most liquid eyeliner applicators have a tapered end that you can use to create the flick on the end as well as the taper on the inner corner of your eye. Really helpful to get your liner looking sharp.
Know when you've gone past the point of no return, take it off and strive again to that perfect point.
There is nothing worse than getting your liner looking bomb.com and then strutting out your front door to light drizzle that makes you look like The Joker.
I find liquid eyeliner application very, very easy. It is my go-to I-need-to-look-polished-with-no-time-and-effort NOW look. I could probably do it without a mirror. But that is because I do it every day. Do it again, and again, and again and you too will be able to wing your eyes in less than a minute. Once you have it down pat, it's like a superpower.
Once you have the basics down you probably have enough of a steady hand to play around with it. Try a thinner line, a smaller wing, a bigger wing or starting your inner corner taper more toward the centre of your eye to make your eyes look rounder.
- CareerMeet the trailblazing female shepherd who won a prestigious award previously only won by men
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:18am
- RoyalsYet another example of the harsh double standard Duchess Meghan faces
Now To LoveToday 8:15am
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveToday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayToday 8:05am
- TVWhy 2019's Dancing with the Stars cast was so close - and who's missing who now that it's over
Now To LoveYesterday 3:42pm
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine and Prince William are reportedly planning a royal tour of Asia this year
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Martha Kalifatidis opens up about being bullied
Now To LoveYesterday 9:55am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am