The aim is simple. Two small lines that make you look effortlessly 60s and French and perhaps like you just breezed in from the airport. So why does it feel like diffusing a bomb?
Don't let the pressure throw you. It can be easy if you know what to do and you can look like a celeb in less than five minutes if you do it right!
Basically, you taper from thin in the inner corner, to thick in the middle, to thin at the wing again. Do that well and you've nailed a classic cat eye.
Read on for tips on how to apply liquid eyeliner.
Not all liquid eyeliners are created equal – there are pens and wands, thick and thin, waterproof and not so waterproof. Try a few, find your favourite and stock the hell up.
Before you draw either wing, decide how you want them to look and draw that for both eyes – more symmetrical result than just drawing and trying to match whatever happens on the first eye (but also, accept that you can't ever be 100% symmetrical. No one is. Not even Beyoncé.)
Pause your drawing and move the pen or wand away from your eye. Blink till your heart is content and avoid making a mess. And for the love of setting spray, keep your wand away from your face if you feel a sneeze coming on.
Drawing a little bit at a time rather than one long line will help with the shape of your line and make it easier to make both sides even and consistent. Once you have drawn the line, go back and smooth out any rough edges (careful, fill in too much and your line will be waaaay too thick).
Just like with the rest of your makeup. Even the little dots your liner will create if you look up. Easy.
Most liquid eyeliner applicators have a tapered end that you can use to create the flick on the end as well as the taper on the inner corner of your eye. Really helpful to get your liner looking sharp.
Know when you've gone past the point of no return, take it off and strive again to that perfect point.
There is nothing worse than getting your liner looking bomb.com and then strutting out your front door to light drizzle that makes you look like The Joker.
I find liquid eyeliner application very, very easy. It is my go-to I-need-to-look-polished-with-no-time-and-effort NOW look. I could probably do it without a mirror. But that is because I do it every day. Do it again, and again, and again and you too will be able to wing your eyes in less than a minute. Once you have it down pat, it's like a superpower.
Once you have the basics down you probably have enough of a steady hand to play around with it. Try a thinner line, a smaller wing, a bigger wing or starting your inner corner taper more toward the centre of your eye to make your eyes look rounder.
- BodyGemma McCaw's tips on how to get your best ever beach body
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Vicky Fuller and Stefaan Nes have broken up - again
Now To LoveToday 2:18pm
- Parenting NewsGlobal study shows Kiwi teenagers are among the most inactive in the world
Now To LoveToday 1:22pm
- RoyalsThe sweet and subtle way Duchess Meghan honoured Prince Harry and baby Archie
Now To LoveToday 12:05pm
- TVMatty McLean had a huge night after winning Television Personality of the Year
Now To LoveToday 11:50am
- FitnessThe full-body workout you can do with just a park bench
Good Health ChoicesToday 9:20am
- Pregnancy & Birth'Our Halloween treat': Jessica Mutch-McKay presents her adorable baby girl to the world
Now To LoveYesterday 4:13pm
- RelationshipsMatilda Green serves cheeky burn to husband Art on social media
Now To LoveYesterday 2:40pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles says New Zealand ‘offers an example to the world’ in a heartfelt speech at Waitangi
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerFive things Stephen Colbert has taught us about our own Prime Minister
Now To LoveYesterday 9:45am
- RoyalsPrince Andrew has stepped back from public royal duties for the foreseeable future
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerWhat Charlie's Angels original Jaclyn Smith is up to now
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- WeddingsFormer Black Cap Simon Doull marries after a whirlwind courtship that began at a hospital bedside
Woman's DayYesterday 8:25am
- CareerA virus left me paralysed but it didn't stop me from having a career in netball
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin the new NutriBullet 1000W Blender Combo worth $299.99!
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:00am
- BodyBalcony fall survivor AJ Pouoa: 'How a night at a friend's house left me paralysed'
Woman's DayNov 20, 2019