Instead of going blonde for summer, try lightening your locks with a modern shade of red.
Think amber, cinnamon, copper strawberry and warm honey tones, a la Jessica Chastain, as opposed to burgundy and mahogany, which are better suited to winter.
While red gets a bad rap as the shade that fades fastest, there are measures that can be taken to keep it looking its vibrant best.
Make colour last longer by using a sulphate-free shampoo. Sulphates can strip colour prematurely, so keep that in mind if you're seeing your colour wash down the drain.
Try: Redken Clean Maniac Micellar Clean Touch Shampoo and Conditioner, $35 each
Do your best to shampoo as little as humanly possible (within reason!) and when you do, use a range designed to maintain colour.
Try: John Frieda Radiant Red Colour Protecting Conditioner, $19.90 or Joico Colour Infuse Red Shampoo, $34
Keep hair looking and feeling fresh between washes with dry shampoo. Make sure to hold the can 15-20cm away from the hair when spraying, then massage the products in before finally brushing it through.
Try: Batiste Cherry Dry Shampoo , $11.99
About three weeks after colouring, revive red by using an at-home colour enhancer. These handy products add a subtle deposit of colour to keep up intensity between salon visits.
Try: Kerastase Reflection Touch Chromatique, $35
Use a nourishing treatment once a week to keep colour bright and firey.
Try: Fanola Oro Intense Copper Colour Mask, $26
- BodyGemma McCaw's tips on how to get your best ever beach body
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Vicky Fuller and Stefaan Nes have broken up - again
Now To LoveToday 2:18pm
- Parenting NewsGlobal study shows Kiwi teenagers are among the most inactive in the world
Now To LoveToday 1:22pm
- RoyalsThe sweet and subtle way Duchess Meghan honoured Prince Harry and baby Archie
Now To LoveToday 12:05pm
- TVMatty McLean had a huge night after winning Television Personality of the Year
Now To LoveToday 11:50am
- FitnessThe full-body workout you can do with just a park bench
Good Health ChoicesToday 9:20am
- Pregnancy & Birth'Our Halloween treat': Jessica Mutch-McKay presents her adorable baby girl to the world
Now To LoveYesterday 4:13pm
- RelationshipsMatilda Green serves cheeky burn to husband Art on social media
Now To LoveYesterday 2:40pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles says New Zealand ‘offers an example to the world’ in a heartfelt speech at Waitangi
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerFive things Stephen Colbert has taught us about our own Prime Minister
Now To LoveYesterday 9:45am
- RoyalsPrince Andrew has stepped back from public royal duties for the foreseeable future
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerWhat Charlie's Angels original Jaclyn Smith is up to now
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- WeddingsFormer Black Cap Simon Doull marries after a whirlwind courtship that began at a hospital bedside
Woman's DayYesterday 8:25am
- CareerA virus left me paralysed but it didn't stop me from having a career in netball
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin the new NutriBullet 1000W Blender Combo worth $299.99!
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:00am
- BodyBalcony fall survivor AJ Pouoa: 'How a night at a friend's house left me paralysed'
Woman's DayNov 20, 2019