Amongst the obvious destinations like department stores, lies a new breed of beauty haven, which is fast garnering an army of beauty fans.
Not to be confused with factory outlets or cheap discount chains, these new retail hotspots are brimming with all the hottest beauty trends.
Whether you're searching for travel-sized products for the long weekend or seeking out the new 'IT' shade of lipstick, they're sure to satisfy every beauty junkie's cravings.
Okay so if you weren't already obsessed with K-mart (it's on your web favourites, let's be honest)... you're about to be.
It's arguably one of the most underrated beauty destinations in New Zealand but somehow it's easy to get lost in the home section and forget about the beauty aisle!
Among a giant range of recognisable brands from Maybelline and Australis to Rimmel and elf, is K-mart's own range of beauty, OXX Cosmetics. Favourites from the range include the Eyeshadow Quad in Peach Dreams $3, Glow Kit $9 and Liquid Lipstick in Sofia $3.
If you're going camping over summer and a shower isn't within reach, a beauty ed fave is also the Cooling Cucumber Deodorant Body Wipes $1.50.
Finally, we don't have to cross the ditch to get the same bargains our neighbours have pocketed for years! A few years ago came Kiwi founded Price Wise which now boasts 10 doors, followed last year by the arrival of Australian giant Chemist Warehouse in St Lukes.
Both have been vocal about plans to expand with Price Wise on track for 20 stores by the end of the year and the latter set to open a second store in South Auckland soon.
Famous for their packed-to-the-brim stores, bargains range from designer fragrances and famous cosmetic brands to vitamins and personal care. The chains operate via a low margin high volume model allowing them to, as Chemist Warehouse says, "beat everyone's prices".
Must-grab deals at Price Wise include their cheap as chips prices on skincare and toiletries, as well as the cult British cosmetics line W7 – we love the metallic matte lipsticks!
At Chemist Warehouse, you can't go past their range of men's and women's perfumes. Both retailers offer up to 65 per cent lower prices than standard NZ retail.
It's probably not your first thought when you need a mascara top-up or a nail polish to go with an outfit but Postie+ is the unlikely beauty destination carrying a wide range of value cosmetics.
You'll also find W7 here as well as incredibly affordable and addictive lines like LA Colors, NYX, Miki and Ulta3, with the average price sitting at around just $4! Beauty ed warning: enter at your own risk!
For those times when you just can't muster the energy to brush your hair, virtually shop some of our favourite brands form the comfort of bed at The Beauty Collective.
The New Zealand e-retailer is a one-stop-shop housing a curated collection of niche and innovative brands. From cosmetic brushes and cult skincare to grooming tools and gorgeous toiletry bags, The Beauty Collective is definitely one to add to your radar.
Other tricks for nabbing a beauty bargain:
1) Social media: Want to be the first to know about beauty sales and nab exclusive deals? Follow your favourite stores on social media, that's where retailers generally post first!
2) Free shipping: The only pitfall of online shopping is the additional shipping charge slapped on at the end. Most sites have a free shipping threshold like 'spend over $50' so look for that and if you're a few dollars off add in an item you know you'll need sooner or later anyway.
3) Department stores: One little-known hack of beauty shopping is the exclusive offers department stores offer. Before purchasing elsewhere, check and see if your local Farmer's has any gift with purchase deals. Often they'll have a free travel sized product or cute toiletry bag with the purchase of a particular product.
4) Makeovers: Need a new mascara or foundation? Book in for a makeover at a beauty counter like Bobbi Brown, Smashbox or even Mecca, and the cost is redeemable on product. You'll walk out looking amazing for the same price as just purchasing the product normally! Just make sure you plan something fun for afterwards so you can show off your look.
- FamilyThese inspiring people are our individual 'Grandparent of the year' winners
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 4:00pm
- RoyalsAnother royal wedding: All the details from Lady Gabriella Windsor’s gorgeous nuptials
Now To LoveToday 1:20pm
- TVNadia Lim admits Dancing With The Stars is 'the biggest challenge I've ever taken on'
Woman's DayToday 1:00pm
- PetsMeet NZ's most lovable rescue pet: Tinkerbelle 'the wobble dog'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 7:45am
- CareerAlexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the band of women shaking up America
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- RoyalsHappy 1st wedding anniversary Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan! A timeline of their beautiful love story
Now To LoveYesterday 10:00am
- FamilyDancing with the Stars judge Rachel White on why NZ has a special place in her heart
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- FamilyDear Thomasin and Davida: Miranda Harcourt's open letter to her daughters
The Australian Women's WeeklyMay 18, 2019
- MindThree women share their inspiring journeys towards empowerment, self-healing and learning to forgive
Good Health ChoicesMay 18, 2019
- FertilityAfter $70,000 spent on IVF Sharee Welch can finally hold her miracle twins
Woman's DayMay 18, 2019
- MoviesOpinion: Robert Pattinson would be an amazing Batman
Now To LoveMay 17, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals cheeky Prince Louis is “keeping us on our toes”
Now To LoveMay 17, 2019
- Celebrity NewsSally Martin's touching tribute to her friend and co-star Pua Magasiva
Now To LoveMay 17, 2019