While Kate Middleton is unlikely to ever divulge the secrets of her daily routine (though we’re convinced that an Into The Gloss-style Top Shelf exposé would probably break what’s left of the Internet), the Duchess of Cambridge has certainly fine-tuned her signature beauty look to perfection since joining the royal family.
There’s the glossy brunette blow out, dried with a slight wave and plenty of volume, the glowing complexion (reportedly thanks to Trilogy’s cult favourite – and budget-friendly – Rosehip Oil), strong brows and a subtle smokey eye. It’s a classic look, and one that’s worthy of one of the most photographed women in the world.
Just as it’s rare for us to see the Duchess testing out a bold red lip instead of the neutral pink she favours, Kate similarly steers clear of bright shades on her nails: in fact, she’s never been photographed at a public engagement sporting anything other than a barely-there manicure in the lightest shade of blush (though she sometimes plays things a little less safe – shock horror – when it comes to her pedicures).
The reason? As with many of those niggling questions about royal behaviour, it’s all a simple matter of etiquette.
Just as the royals have to ensure that their outfits obey a strict set of sartorial rules, their beauty choices are similarly dictated by protocol.
According to OK!, certain well-placed sources have let slip that wearing fake nails or coloured nail polish is considered ‘vulgar’ for royal engagements.
Instead of bright colours, the royals are encouraged to favour a neutral hue on the nails. The Queen has famously favoured Essie’s pale pink Ballet Slippers polish since 1989 (her hairdresser reportedly described it as ‘the only colour Her Majesty would wear’); for her wedding day in 2011, Kate took her cues from her grandmother-in-law, opting to wear the same shade when she tied the knot with William. Since then, she’s stuck close to the same formula: a neat manicure in a barely-there colour.
Instead of bright colours, the royals are encouraged to favour a neutral hue on the nails.
The Queen has famously favoured Essie’s pale pink Ballet Slippers polish since 1989 (her hairdresser reportedly described it as ‘the only colour Her Majesty would wear’); for her wedding day in 2011, Kate took her cues from her grandmother-in-law, opting to wear the same shade when she tied the knot with William. Since then, she’s stuck close to the same formula: a neat manicure in a barely-there colour.
- BodyToni Street reflects on the extreme toll her auto-immune disease took on her body
Now To LoveToday 4:02pm
- WeddingsTwo years in the making: Tiki Taane's epic marriage proposal
Woman's DayToday 1:55pm
- TVAussie Bachelor Matt Agnew's embarrassing kissing confession
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- RoyalsA royal biographer dishes on what the Queen carries in her handbag
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- MoneyEverything you need to know about saving for your retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerPaul Henry reveals he's 'in talks' to return to TV
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin an indulgent prize pack from Young Living Oils
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are 6 energy-boosting food alternatives to coffee
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- Food & DrinksThese Kiwi oats are the perfect go-to breakfast for busy mornings
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- FamilyA former teen mum shares how she went from pregnant prefect to top of NZ in her career
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- RelationshipsGreg Boyed's widow posts a touching tribute on the first anniversary of his death
Now To LoveYesterday 11:32am
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her wedding day makeup look
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Travel News'Travel agents are retro' and 3 other misconceptions about travel consultants debunked
Now To LoveYesterday 10:11am
- PetsNZ police have posted a touching tribute to Constable Elliott: the world's first police guinea pig
Now To LoveYesterday 9:21am
- CareerBlack Ferns star Kendra Cocksedge: Living her dream and on a mission to help others live theirs
Woman's DayYesterday 8:10am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayAug 20, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveAug 20, 2019