Elle Macpherson claims to do it daily, while some of us don’t bother at all. So, what’s the most beneficial method of exfoliation?
Exfoliating removes the surface debris of dead skin cells to reveal the smoother, glowing skin beneath. It unclogs pores, allows oxygen to get to the skin, and clears the way for serums, moisturisers and masks to do their work.
If you have mature skin that is losing youthful radiance, exfoliating will help smooth its surface, so it better reflects light and seems more luminous. When it comes to exfoliators, there are different options. Some are granular, and buff away the upper layers of dead skin cells.
Others use enzymes or fruit acids for the same effect, without the abrasive action. Heavily blemished skins are advised to avoid very granular scrubs and opt for gentler micro-beads instead.
Charlotte Turner is head of training for Clarins. Here’s her expert advice:
HOW OFTEN SHOULD WE DO IT?
Twice a week as a rule, but it is skin specific. If there are sensitivity or inflammation issues, mechanical exfoliation (scrubs) should be avoided.
HOW MUCH SHOULD WE USE?
A dollop the size of a ten-cent coin is usually sufficient. Massage in for one minute on the face, but cleanse first to remove excess oils, make-up, surface debris, etc.
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE THE BEST ONE?
Know what you want to treat. If you have sensitive skin, you may opt for a smooth, rather than grainy, exfoliator.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Smoother skin, quicker rehydration, more radiance, and better anti-ageing performance from skincare products.
WHAT IF WE OVER-EXFOLIATE?
Redness, irritation and sensitivity are the main outcomes of over-exfoliation.
Five scrubs to try:
1 **Blemished skin-** CLEAN & CLEAR DEEP ACTION DAILY SCRUB $10.99. Micro-beads combine with witch hazel and salicyclic acid to unclog pores and fight those pimples.
2 Natural on a budget-* *NEUTROGENA NATURALS PURIFYING PORE SCRUB $15.99. A low granular scrub that contains coconut, guar bean, willow bark and jojoba oil to detoxify pores gently.
3 **Cleansing-** LINDEN LEAVES RADIANT EXFOLIATING WASH WITH TANGERINE AND KOWHAI $34.99. Ultra-gentle with aloe vera to minimise irritation.
4 Daily use- DERMALOGICA MICROFOLIANT $134. For a smooth, buffed feel every day, this is the one. Enzymes lift skin cells without scrubbing.
5 Double action-* *ELIZABETH ARDEN SKIN ILLUMINATING SMOOTH CLEANSER $69. Micro-beads tackle dead surface cells. Ideal for mature and dull skin.
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019