We’ve all heard of some pretty weird beauty hacks in our time, with celebrities usually the main culprits.
However 50-something-year-old Tess Christian, just an every day person, may have just taken the Weird Beauty Hack crown from vagina-steaming Gwyneth Paltrow as she claims she has not grinned, smiled or laughed for more than 40 years.
She’s lived an expressionless life, in order to prevent expression lines.
Nicknamed Mona Lisa for her poker face stare, British-born Tess made the conscious choice to quit making facial expressions when she was just 10 years old and now looks a little something like this...
"I don’t have wrinkles because I have trained myself to control my facial muscles,’ she told The Daily Mail. “Everyone asks if I’ve had Botox, but I haven’t. My dedication has paid off, I don’t have a single line on my face.”
Dermatologist Dr Nick Lowe agrees she may be on to something: “Wrinkles happen because of the constant creasing of smile and forehead lines by the muscles in your face, which fold the connective tissue under the skin,” he told the publication. “If you can train yourself to minimise your facial expressions, you won’t get as many lines. We know this because it is exactly how Botox works — by reducing muscle activity.”
While Tess doesn't think she's missing out by showing happiness, psychologist Amanda Hills disagrees.
"When you smile you release endorphins, known as 'happy hormones' that make you feel good," she told The Daily Mail.
Would you give up a life of expressing joy for eternal youth?
- CareerRachel Hunter on being single, her love affair with India and why she never feels alone
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 11:30am
- At homeFour ways to give your Christmas decorations a modern refresh without breaking the bank
Now To LoveToday 11:20am
- RoyalsPrince William gave a shout out to Duchess Meghan and Prince Harry at this special event
Now To LoveToday 11:20am
- Pregnancy & BirthHilaria Baldwin begins her journey of healing after miscarrying fifth child
Now To LoveToday 10:34am
- PetsCelebrities and their pets: Shortland Street's Ria Vandervis and princess pooch Maeby
Woman's DayToday 9:55am
- SkincareGemma McCaw's 4 natural beauty treatments you can make at home yourself
Now To LoveToday 7:45am
- CompetitionsWin a Fitbit Versa Lite prizepack for Diabetes Action Month
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Body4 reasons why a visit to this hidden oasis will have you feeling summer-ready
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson zooms around an airport on a motorised suitcase in a hilarious new video
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsIs Duchess Catherine getting her own television show?
Now To LoveYesterday 10:05am
- FamilySex educationist reveals what kids really want to know about sex - and it might surprise you
Now To LoveYesterday 9:53am
- CareerKeeping Up With The Kaimanawas horse whisperer Kelly Wilson on the stallion that changed her life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:36am
- Career'You just have to be yourself': Ingrid Hipkiss on taking over from Samantha Hayes on the 6pm news
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:25am
- WeddingsZac Franich and Erin Simpson's magical wedding day
Woman's DayYesterday 9:15am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan steps out in $50,000 ruby earrings by Kiwi designer Jessica McCormack
Now To LoveNov 11, 2019
- FamilyAt home with Matilda and Art Green: 'Baby Milo is our dream come true'
Woman's DayNov 11, 2019