We’ve all heard of some pretty weird beauty hacks in our time, with celebrities usually the main culprits.
However 50-something-year-old Tess Christian, just an every day person, may have just taken the Weird Beauty Hack crown from vagina-steaming Gwyneth Paltrow as she claims she has not grinned, smiled or laughed for more than 40 years.
She’s lived an expressionless life, in order to prevent expression lines.
Nicknamed Mona Lisa for her poker face stare, British-born Tess made the conscious choice to quit making facial expressions when she was just 10 years old and now looks a little something like this...
"I don’t have wrinkles because I have trained myself to control my facial muscles,’ she told The Daily Mail. “Everyone asks if I’ve had Botox, but I haven’t. My dedication has paid off, I don’t have a single line on my face.”
Dermatologist Dr Nick Lowe agrees she may be on to something: “Wrinkles happen because of the constant creasing of smile and forehead lines by the muscles in your face, which fold the connective tissue under the skin,” he told the publication. “If you can train yourself to minimise your facial expressions, you won’t get as many lines. We know this because it is exactly how Botox works — by reducing muscle activity.”
While Tess doesn't think she's missing out by showing happiness, psychologist Amanda Hills disagrees.
"When you smile you release endorphins, known as 'happy hormones' that make you feel good," she told The Daily Mail.
Would you give up a life of expressing joy for eternal youth?
- RoyalsPrincess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi welcome their first child, a baby girl
Now To LoveYesterday 10:00am
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island's Tegan Yorwarth's message to internet trolls
Woman's DaySep 20, 2021
- TVBlack Ferns star Huriana Manuel's Olympic heartbreak
Woman's DaySep 15, 2021
- TVProud Dad Art Green: 'My little girl is just so special'
Woman's DaySep 13, 2021
- Celebrity NewsAngela Bloomfield's tears and fears: 'I haven't given up on love!'
Woman's DaySep 07, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJoe Naufahu's heartbreak: 'I'm doing this for Mum'
Woman's DaySep 06, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi parents nightmare: 'Our son should still be here'
Woman's DaySep 03, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi Paralympic kayaker Corbin Hart's unstoppable romance
Woman's DayAug 28, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island hosts Bree Tomasel and Matt Chisholm's special bond
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021
- Real LifeTVNZ reporter Michelle Prendiville opens up about her alopecia
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021