Looking for a special occasion cake that's got serious wow-factor? This flaming flamingo cake will impress big and little ones alike — and it's easier to make than you might think. Grab the kids and get creative in the kitchen this weekend!
This recipe is from The Australian Women's Weekly Barbie Cookbook and was road-tested in The Weekly's Test Kitchen.
Flamenco flamingo cake
PREP AND COOK TIME: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 x 450g packets double unfilled sponge cake slabs
- 1 x 453g tub vanilla frosting
- pink food colouring
- 375g strawberries, sliced thinly
- 8 extreme red sour straps
- 50g milk chocolate Melts
- 2 banana lollies
- 1 white marshmallow, halved
- 1 pink Double 'D' sugar-free lolly
- 1 soft black licorice, sliced thinly
- 11 pink musk sticks
- Using the picture as a guide, cut one of the sandwiched sponge cakes into the shape of a flamingo's body. Secure to a 30cm x 40cm rectangular cake board with a little frosting. Cut the flamingo's head and neck from the remaining sandwiched sponge cake, securing in position with a little frosting.
- Tint the frosting pink. Spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Stir the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water until smooth (don't let the water touch the base of the bowl). Dip one end of each banana lolly into the chocolate and place on baking paper to set. Position banana lollies on the head for the beak.
- Position the marshmallow, sugar-free lolly and licorice on the head to make the eye.
- Position the musk sticks to make the legs.
- Using the picture as a guide, decorate the flamingo's body with the sliced strawberries.
- Cut the sour strap into long pieces and position on the cake to make a wing.
Anna's tip: It's best to position the strawberry slices on the flamingo shortly before serving.
Brought to you by Barbie. You can be anything.
The Australian Women's Weekly Barbie. You can be anything. The Australian Women's Weekly Barbie Cookbook is available now at The Warehouse nationwide.*|target="_blank") Cookbook is available now at The Warehouse nationwide.